Since 1929 the Egyptian Theatre has entertained countless people within the majestic walls of this jewel of DeKalb.
We are #ProudlyDeKalb for many reasons.
- The Egyptian Theatre in DeKalb was once one of over 100 Egyptian Theatres in the United States but today is 1 of only 7 remaining and the only one East of the Rocky Mountains.
- 1 of 2 remaining Egyptian Theatres with original star lights in the auditorium ceiling.
- Listed in Top 10 Most Haunted Theatres in Illinois.
- One of the top 20 largest historic theatres in Illinois (by seats).
- 1978 – Listed on the National Registry of Historic Places.
- 2008 – Awarded 1 of 150 Great Places in Illinois by the American Institute of Architects
- We welcome over 30 community organizations every year that utilize the Egyptian Theatre for their events.
- John F. Kennedy spoke at the Egyptian Theatre in front of a packed house on October 25, 1959.
- Ronald Reagan and First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt also visited the Egyptian Theatre.