- 1 of 6 remaining Egyptian Theatres in the United States.
- The only Egyptian Theatre east of the Rocky Mountains.
- 1 of 2 remaining Egyptian Theatres with original star lights.
- Listed in Top 10 Most Haunted Theatres in Illinois.
- One of the top 20 largest historic theatres in Illinois (by seats).
- 1978 – Listed on the National Registry of Historic Places.
- June 1988 – Box Office magazine features the Egyptian Theatre.
- September 1991 – American Movie Classics magazine features the Egyptian Theatre.
- July 13, 1999 – The League of Historic American Theatres annual conference tours the Egyptian Theatre.
- 2009 – Recognized by the Illinois legislature in celebration of the 80th anniversary.
- 2013 – Featured in the book “Le Louxor Palais Du Cinema” published for the re-opening of the Egyptian themed theatre in Paris, France.
- December 10, 2014 – City of DeKalb declared “Egyptian Theatre Day” in celebration of 85th anniversary.
2011 – Nominee DeKalb Chamber of Commerce Business of the Year
2008 – Awarded 1 of 150 Great Places in Illinois by the American Institute of Architects
Facts & Figures
(As of 6/30/14, the end of the 2013-2014 season)
# of visitors – 30,000
# of events – 130
# of groups that used the theatre – 27
# of Northern Illinois University events – 7
Visitor demographics – 60% from outside the local area, 40% from DeKalb/Sycamore area
Annual Economic Impact – $1.5-2 million (using data from Americans for the Arts)
DeKalb Chamber of Commerce
Sycamore Chamber of Commerce
League of Historic American Theatres
Theatre Historical Society of America
Americans for the Arts
Arts Alliance Illinois
DeKalb County Nonprofit Partnership
DeKalb Area Arts Council
DeKalb County Economic Development Corporation