“90 years….and more to come”
Phase One – Priority Patron Amenities and Air-conditioning
Size: approx. 4,200 sq ft (2 stories with basement)
28 ft addition to the south in Palmer Ct. (85 ft long starting from west end)
Estimated Cost: $4.5 million
Description: Increase size of public restrooms on first and second floor to meet current recommended standards. Increase the size of the concession stand to maximize serving stations and add in-house liquor license. Add concession stand on second floor for balcony. Provide ADA accessibility in restrooms and at concession stand. New historically appropriate carpet throughout theatre.
6 Months – Architectural Design, Development, and Bidding
7 Months – Construction
- Acquire liquor license that would increase programming opportunities and generate additional revenue. Currently estimated at $100,000 in additional gross revenue each year.
- Ability to accommodate larger audiences on a regular basis, more comfortably and efficiently.
- More environmentally friendly theatre with lighting and water upgrades.
- Offer year round programming with the addition of air-conditioning.
- Become a sought after summer wedding venue with the addition of air-conditioning.
- Ability to maintain historic facility with temperature control in regards to heat and humidity resulting in improved preservation and lower maintenance costs.
- Provides inclusivity through ADA improvements at concessions and all restrooms.
- Builds upon existing competitive advantages compared to other performance venues in the region.
|Main Floor – Women’s||3 Stalls / 2 Sinks||14 Stalls / 12 Sinks|
|Main Floor – Men’s||3 Stalls / 2 Sinks / 3 Urinals||4 Stalls / 5 Sinks / 11 Urinals|
|Mezzanine – Women’s||2 Stalls / 2 Sinks||6 Stalls / 4 Sinks|
|Mezzanine – Men’s||1 Stall / 1 Sink / 1 Urinal||
2 Stalls / 4 Sinks / 5 Urinals
|Main Floor – Concessions||2 Stations||4-5 Stations|
|Mezzanine – Concessions||0 Stations||2-3 Stations|
Project Architect: Lisa Sharp – Sharp Architects, Inc.
Project Construction Manager: Steve Irving – Irving Construction Co., Inc.
Mechanical/Plumbing/Electrical Engineer: RTM Associates
Structural Engineer: Hutter Trankina Engineering
Acoustical Engineer: Soundscape Engineering
Civil Engineer: C.E.S. Inc.
Food & Beverage Consultant: Clevenger Associates
Interior Designer: Elevated Edge Interiors
Timeline of Events
December 18, 2018 – DeKalb City Council approves $2.5 million in TIF funding towards project
December 19, 2018 – Egyptian Theatre Board of Directors approves contracts with Sharp Architects and Irving Construction.
January 7, 2019 – Engineering and preliminary design work begins
February 20, 2019 – City of DeKalb Planning & Zoning Commission approval
March 11, 2019 – DeKalb City Council vote on property conveyance